Using a DB2 GeneLinkerô database requires some preliminary setup.
1. If you do not already have access to a running DB2, install one. Visit the following site for full details: http://www.ibm.com/software/data/db2/
2. As the database administrator, create a database in DB2 called, for example, BIO_DB.
3. Create an account (user name and password) for accessing the BIO_DB database.
4. Configure your DB2 installation so that the BIO_DB database is accessible using the above account on the computer where GeneLinkerô is installed.
5. Run the DB2ConfigurationUtility.bat application found in the Maintenance folder of the GeneLinkerô installation folder. You will be prompted for the name of the database (BIO_DB in this example), the user name, and password.
Warning: this password appears in plain text in the GeneLinkerô configuration file (GeneLinker.conf). Please take whatever precautions are required to secure this file or use a unique password for this application (to limit the risk if this password becomes known to others).
6. Start GeneLinkerô.
If there are any problems during step 5 (for example, you mistype the name of the database), then GeneLinkerô's configuration will not be changed.
Note that a DB2 GeneLinkerô database cannot be shared by multiple users. Attempting to do so will corrupt the database and cause valuable information to be lost.